Call Us for Free Consultation

Call Now: (312) 374-6626

Minors who are hurt on the job may bring a lawsuit

Minor doing labor

or fill out the Contact Form

By Neal B. Strom of Strom & Associates, Ltd. posted in Workers’ Compensation on Wednesday, March 5, 2014.

Typically, a worker who is injured on the job can only file a workers compensation claim. There are some exceptions. One important exception is if an illegally hired minor is hurt at work.

Illegally employed minors have the right to bring a civil action against their employers when they are injured during the course of employment. This right is exercisable within six months after the time of injury/death or within six months after the appointment of a legal representative, whichever shall be later. To exercise this right the employee or the legal representative must give the Commission notice that they are rejecting their rights to the benefits under the Workers’ Compensation Act. In addition, no payment of compensation under the Workers’ Compensation Act may be made to an illegally employed minor or his legal representative without the express approval of the Commission.
This is important because there are damages that a minor can receive in a lawsuit that can not be recovered in a workers compensation claim. They include pain and suffering, disfigurement and loss of enjoyment of a normal life.

Share This Article

As the founder of the firm, Neal has devoted his life to working for the worker. His achievements are numerous and beyond reproach. He is most proud of his work in helping clients obtain valuable benefits, such as a wheelchair ramp to his home or lifetime medical care.

Get a FREE Consultation:
We want to earn your business.

    Lawyers logos
    Lawyers logos